One of the things that has been a great help to our health is not consuming the chips, crackers, microwave popcorn; junk food, to sum it all up. We occasionally make our own homemade potato chips ( oven baked), we make popcorn the old fashioned way In a large Dutch oven with coconut oil and we make our own crackers. Yes! Our own crackers. This recipe make a large amount so what I do is bake up what I need and freeze the rest of the dough. When I need more I thaw the dough, slice and bake.
These are so tasty and yet easy. I don’t recall where the recipe came from however, I have changed it up quite a bit. When you display them people immediately notice that they are not store bought. I love doing cheese platters as I did in our cheese shop years ago and these just make a very attractive platter. Fill with cheese, fruit, and all the scrumptious things that you love.
Then add these easy crackers and you’re all set.
- 2 cups grated parmasan cheese
- 1 stick or ½ cup butter at room temperature
- Fresh basil to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon each oregano, thyme, and marjoram
- Black pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Place butter in chunks in the food processor and blend. Add the cheese in batches blending until it forms a dough.
- Add fresh basil, oregano, thyme, and marjoram.
- Add black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. Blend well.
- Gradually add 1¼ cups flour in batches.
- Mold the dough jelly roll style and wrap in Saharan wrap then freeze for 30 min.
- Remove, slice into ¼ inch slices, place on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 min until golden brown.
These parmesan crackers are buttery, with soft centers and a full on cheese taste. Seriously, you may not go back to eating store bought crackers with artificial cheese flavoring. I think these would be fun to experiment with other cheese as of yet I have not done that but want to. Can you imagine these with bits of crumbled bacon. Yum! I could go on and on. Give them a try and we’ll see you next time.