Seafood has always been a big part of my life. Growing up it was almost always fried, so when I started to explore healthier versions of the things I love to eat I was often extremely disappointed in the compromise to flavor. I’m not disappointed in this dish.
This oven fried Alaskan cod is moist and flaky with a crispy outside. First, start with wild caught fish. There is a big difference in flavor and nutrients between wild caught and farm raised anything, my experience being that wild caught is hands down the winner.
For the crust I used organic cornmeal and leftover cashew flour from the chocolate cashew tart I made a while back. I also added a little thyme and parsley, and salt, pepper, and cayenne with an egg to bind it all together.
One of the secrets to this crispy on the outside, flaky on the inside Alaskan cod is the preparation. Rinse your fish with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Then make your batter, using about a third of the cashew flour, a third of the cornmeal, all of your herbs and spices, and the egg.
Mix the batter thoroughly, then mix the remaining cashew flour and cornmeal before dividing in half. Dip the fish into the flour mixture, then the batter, then the flour mixture before placing on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cook at 450 degrees Fahrenheit until done, about 10 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness of your fish.
If you make this recipe we’d love to know what you think in the comments.
- 1 pound Alaskan cod filets
- ½ cup cashew or nut flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- ¼ tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 450 Fahrenheit
- Rinse fish in cold water, then pat dry
- Add ⅓ each of cashew flour and cornmeal to a mixing bowl
- Add herbs, spices and eggs to mixing bowl
- Whisk to make batter
- Combine remaining cashew flour and cornmeal, then divide into 2 bowls
- Dip fish in cashew/cornmeal flour, shaking off excess
- Dip in batter, coating thoroughly
- Dip battered fish in second bowl of cashew/cornmeal flour
- Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until crust is golden brown