I love yogurt, when I was younger I liked the fruit filled ones. However, after being ill and turning to clean eating I dropped the fruit filled ones because they just were not healthy. Now I add my own fruit and etc. This recipe is a bit different in that it’s a savory yogurt dish. One that I think you will love and it’s ideal for guests. Plus, you know how sometimes it’s hard to get together with friends and relatives for Thanksgiving when everyone is going somewhere else or there just isn’t enough time to fly in or fly out? Well this makes a great substitution for that great big “Tom Turkey” when there are just a few people for dinner.
Herb Roasted Chicken with Yogurt Sauce
It’s this beautiful roasting chicken with herbs under the skin and a lovely yogurt sauce to go over the top. The chicken sits on top of potatoes cut to the same height where upon the chicken rests during roasting. This marvelous idea allows heat to circulate all around the chicken and it cooks your potatoes at the same time as it catches the juices. Serve it with a crisp green salad or vegetable and you’ll have plenty of time to mingle as it cooks.
With the recipes for our holiday dessert shown on our web site you’ll have a beautiful meal set and still be able to watch the game or talk with friends and relatives via cell to wish them “Happy Thanksgiving”.
So let’s get started-
Roast in a pre heated oven at 450 degrees for 30 min. uncovered. Then replace lid, lower temp to 375 degrees for about an hour. Let it rest for 10 minutes and serve with the yogurt sauce drizzled over the top. Place the extra yogurt sauce in a dish for those who want more (and they will).
Reserve drippings at the bottom of the pan and pour in a container and refrigerate. In a couple of days you can skim the fat and make gravy with the drippings or use it in a soup stock. Enjoy!
- 1 whole organic roasting chicken, 6 to 8 pounds
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1 tablespoon dried
- ¼ cup roughly chopped dill or 2 teaspoons dried
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put everything except the chicken, potatoes, and yogurt into a food processor and pulse until you have a rough chop on the ingredients
- Fold half of your chopped ingredients into the yogurt and refrigerate
- Pat chicken dry
- Salt and pepper the chicken, including the cavity
- Gently lift the skin and place the remaining half of the herb mixture under the skin
- Cut potatoes in half so that you have 8 equal pieces
- Place potatoes in roasting pan, cut side down
- Truss chicken and place on top of the potatoes, breast side up
- Roast chicken uncovered at 450 F for 30 minutes, then
- Reduce heat to 375 F and cover, baking for an additional 60 minutes
- Let rest for 10 minutes after roasting