Growing up I was taught not to brag. That lesson must have stuck more than others because to this day it’s hard for me to even accept a compliment. With that in mind, I feel like I’m about to disappoint my mother, because…
This chocolate cashew tart is awesome! It has just the right mix of sweet and salty, smooth and crunchy, and I see myself making this over and over and over again.
It’s my take on the classic chocolate/hazelnut combination, which I love, but several years ago I was at a friend’s house and they had chocolate covered cashews. I was immediately addicted, and that combo has haunted my dreams ever since.
I’ve made a few attempts at this dish, tweaking here and there to get the taste exactly right, and this time all the elements came together in some sort of chocolate nirvana. The cashew and flour crust is the perfect thickness to hold the chocolate filling, and although sturdy it is tender enough that it doesn’t shatter when cut.
The filling…ah, the filling. It’s a “just right” mix of milk and dark chocolate, studded with ground cashews and coarse sea salt yet somehow still smooth and silky. The salt intensifies the flavor of the chocolate and, along with the ground cashews, adds a pleasing texture to each bite.
Okay, I’ve bragged enough. Here’s the video, and while you’re watching I’m going to go to the kitchen and sneak another piece.
Please let me know what you think in the comments!
This makes one 11″ tart. For a 9″ tart use two thirds of the listed ingredients, or use leftover crust and filling to make mini tarts in a muffin pan.
- 1½ cup flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup ground salted cashews
- pinch of salt
- 1½ sticks butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 oz dark (70%) chocolate
- 7 oz milk chocolate
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1½ cups ground salted cashes
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Add ingredients to food processor and blend
- On lightly floured surface mold crust into a disk then refrigerate for one hour
- Roll out crust to ¼ inch thickness
- Prep 11" tart pan by coating with cooking spray
- Add crust to pan and refrigerate for 15 minutes
- Blind bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes
- Finish baking for additional 15 minutes
- Let cool completely
- Chop or break chocolate into small pieces (about the size of a quarter) and place in a bowl
- Heat cream until the surface just starts to bubble
- Pour cream over chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes
- Stir cream and chocolate until all chocolate has melted
- Add 1 cup ground cashews to filling, stir until mixed
- Pour filling into crust
- Scatter coarse sea salt on top of filling
- Scatter remaining 12 cup ground cashews on top of filling
- Chill for at least 2 hours
- Serve and enjoy